I have been working with the OSI Model for almost 25 years. However, I was so busy attempting to tackle the technical concrete aspects of the model, I rarely had time to reflect on it abstractly.
Recently, while taking a sabbatical, it occurred to me that the OSI Model, with the infamous Layer 8 could be fitted into the Yi Jing using CONCRETE as the term for the broken lines and ABSTRACT as the term for the solid lines. As the Yi Jing is a 3 bit binary system, there are 8 possible combinations. Concrete could also be interpreted as Physical and Abstract could also be interpreted as Logical.
I still have to think more about the possible reasoning behind the structure below, but for right now I am just looking at it as two concepts that roughly fit together without significance.
- L1 : PHYSICAL
- CONCRETE : CONCRETE: : CONCRETE
- L2 : DATA LINK
- CONCRETE : CONCRETE : ABSTRACT
- L3 : NETWORK
- CONCRETE : ABSTRACT : CONCRETE
- L4 : TRANSPORT
- CONCRETE : ABSTRACT : ABSTRACT
- L5 : SESSION
- ABSTRACT : CONCRETE : CONCRETE
- L6 : PRESENTATION
- ABSTRACT : CONCRETE : ABSTRACT
- L7 : APPLICATION
- ABSTRACT : ABSTRACT : CONCRETE
- L8 : USER
- ABSTRACT : ABSTRACT : ABSTRACT