I have been thinking about Art from the perspective of a Data Analyst and something occurred to me.
Databases have multiple levels:
And at each of these levels you have two states:
It made me think about a two dimensional binary
- Art : Abstract / Qualitative
- Math : Abstract / Quantitative
- Poetry : Concrete / Qualitative
- Science : Concrete / Quantitative
Logical tables contain the structure of the database while Physical tables contain the content of the database and Storage places the content on a medium.
I looked at this and wondered if the construct was able to abstract further.
- Logical : Structure : Abstract / Concrete
- Physical : Content : Qualitative / Quantitative
- Storage : Medium : Form / Function
What this yielded was a three dimensional concept where each dimension had two states. In other words, a binary cube.
Binary cubes have eight possible states
- Abstract : Qualitative : Form
- Abstract : Qualitative : Function
- Abstract : Quantitative : Form
- Abstract : Quantitative : Function
- Concrete : Qualitative : Form
- Concrete : Qualitative : Function
- Concrete : Quantitative : Form
- Concrete : Quantitative : Function
So we have a new set of Dimensions:
And a new set of states:
- Structure : Abstract / Concrete
- Content : Qualitative / Quantitative
- Medium : Form / Function
There are many 8 part models out there for system life cycles, system components, communication layers, data levels. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between them and this abstraction.