I have been wanting to clearly define each of the terms Data, Information, Knowledge and Wisdom for some time. I have thought about Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge Bases, Knowledge Management, Data Management and other disciplines and have decided on the following simple definitions:
- Wisdom is the ability to model entities in a system. This is extrapolative.
- Knowledge is the ability to model relationships in a system. This is interpolative.
- Information is the ability to model attributes in a system. This is intrapolative.
- Data is the ability to model constraints in a system. This is extrapolitive.
- Intuition is the ability to model definitions in a system. This is interpolitive.
- Communication is the ability to model manipulations to and from a system. This is intrapolitive.
I have been forced to come up with the root “polite” to describe a single input value as opposed to “polar” which is a collection of input values. But what I want to point out is there is no automated tool capable of creating new models of communication, intuition, data, information, knowledge or wisdom, as simply defined as this is, that can be regarded as “intelligent.”
The above six perspectives affect the following focuses or modeling languages:
- Motivation Modeling
- Network Modeling
- Data Modeling
- Process Modeling
- Person Modeling
- Time Modeling
The perspectives CIDIKW and focuses MNDPPT make a thirty-six cell framework I call the Six Hats, Six Coats Framework. What I am pointing out here is that no system is simply one dimensional. Human systems are six dimensional at least. There is also a meta-layer, the model, and a data-layer, the database, for each dimension. The modeling systems and databases for all the dimensions are still very primitive and incompatible. Slowly, we are getting there, but there is more than enough work out there for anyone who wants to come up with a consistent modeling language. And if you do, you will have the foundation for a true AI.